Malnourishment, extreme poverty, and despair … daily realities for hundreds of million people around the world. Caught in a cycle of poverty, these people need access to training and capital and tools to lift themselves out of their poverty with dignity and determination.
Zolder50 and Solis Amsterdam want to act against social injustice by organising the first Solis Fundraising Dinner on 15 September 2006. We have two goals for this evening: sharing a great dinner and raise money for the Village Enterprise Foundation (VEF).
VEF enables the rural poor to create sustainable incomes by starting small businesses in
The dinner is for free, although you are invited to donate, to raise money for the VEF projects.
Twenty-seven is also:
- The total number of books in the New Testament of the Holy Bible .
- The number of letters in the Spanish alphabet
- Rusty Wallace's car number when he won the 1989 NASCAR Winston Cup championship.
- The current number of Amendments to the United States Constitution.
- The age in years at which many famous rock musicians died, sometimes referred to as the 27 Club. Occasionally, this is termed the "ideal" age to die, and in fact the concept is so famous that it has inspired a brand of clothing, DeadAt27.
- The modal age of the peak peformance year for major league baseball position players, according to a commonly accepted theory by sabermetrician Bill James.
- The code for international direct-dialed phone calls to South Africa.
- A number which "Weird Al" Yankovic hides somewhere in many of his songs and videos. They can be found here.
- With the number 37, a key number in comedian Charles Fleischer's concept of moleeds.
- The designation (I-27) of a US interstate highway in Texas.
- The designation (US 27) of a United States national highway from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Miami, Florida.
- The number of completed, numbered piano concertos of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Considered the Saint-Supreme-Number by Quozers (followers of the Quoze's lifestyle.
- Historical years 27 A.D., 27 B.C., or 1927.
- The name of the second track on, and first single released from, the Biffy Clyro album Blackened Sky
- The name of a popular cigarette, Marlboro Blend No. 27.
- The number of books in the first Xanth "trilogy".
So what's up in my 27th year, deo volente? The year will start off with a first visit to Beijing and Shanghai, where (part of) my family comes from, and a first (work) visit to Indonesia. Maybe it will be the year I learn Mandarin. It might be the year of my first academic (co-)publication. Maybe, the coming year will brutally end my singleness (there's no particular reason to suggest this!) But what I really hope for is a renewed sense of fullfillment and guidance, not necessarily in a cultural religious way, but in a deeper connection with God. I reckon that would last a bit longer than a year!
The person without food symbolised famine and starvation in our world. The person with meat and vegetables symbolizes the wealthy minority, eating large portions with meat on a regular basis. Once people began eating, we read statistics on global poverty, underdevelopment and hunger.
The purpose of the dinner was to raise awareness for social injustice. It was not to make people feel guilty, but to redirect attention to where it is needed. Therefore we closed the meal with the breaking of bread and taking communion. After all, Jesus preached the good news to the poor and set them free (Luke 4:16-21) and it is through Him that we can pray with Saint Francis:
Dear God, please make us an instrument of your peace; Where there is hatred, let us sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy. As we pray together today, let us remember that things don't happen over night. Let us not forget the struggles we all are going through in this movement for economic injustice. Even if frustration may set in, let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shell reap if we do not lose heart (Gal.6:9). Thanks be to God. Amen.rich man poor man,poverty,social justice,food
The Mayor and the City Council decided to celebrate this occasion on 2 July this year. I do not really understand the logic, but it's all right with me...
Tonight's game against Serbia and Montenegro didn't excite me much. The Netherland won (1-0) but, I'd say it was quite a boring match. I still watched, hoping to get sick. So I guess that I'll have to suffer from being sane at least until Holland's next match (16 June against Ivory Coast).
I haven't posted lately. I've been quite busy with work.
Last Monday we had a meeting of Solis Amsterdam. We are looking forward to organise the Solis Dinner in September. Solis also has a new website, check it out!
- I got up this morning with a headache
- Amsterdam has autumn weather in June
- I attend two Church services this Sunday
- I still need to buy some presents
- I still need to make an appointment with the dentist
- I start reading books and never finish them
- I have had two cups of coffee today